How to get there
San Martin Hut (Jakob lagoon) – Open all year round.
Manfredo Segre Hut (Laguna Negra) – Open from November to April
- Only one direction towards Laguna Negra as it has a very steep, technical and exposed section. Only recommended for those with lots of trekking and mountaineering experience.
- Highly recommended to hire a Mountain Guide
- From October to January, due to ice and snow it is crucial to have crampons and ice axe.
- It is best to plan this traverse as of February with no snow or ice.
- Groups of more than 10 people are required to make a reservation at the San Martín Hut before heading up
- It is a long traverse, start early.
- Check with the hut keeper on the trail conditions.
- Take plenty water.
This is a very technical and exposed traverse and should only be attempted in one direction. Normally there is snow until February so best not to go before then.
Leaving the San Martin Hut, follow the trail towards the Schweizer pass and the Icebergs lagoon. Here take a right up on a shoulder towards Pico Refugio. There is a very steep section with short easy climbing though very exposed, pay attention at markings to stay on the trail.
Once on the ridge of Pico Refugio traverse left below the “Cordón de los Inocentes”, cross another ridge and contour around to the Cerro Navidad peak. Great views all around. Trail descends down due North to the Navidad creek basin. Once in the valley, the trail soon joins into the trail coming from Colonia Suiza, take a left and continue up the switchbacks to Laguna Negra and Manfredo Segre Hut (also known as Italia).
From here you can descend back to Colonia Suiza or continue on the “4 Huts traverse” to López Hut.
To improve the trekking experience, it is recommended to contact a Mountain Guide authorized by the AAGM (Argentine Association of Mountain Guides)