How to get there
HOW TO GET THERE
From downtown Bariloche:
Bus: In summer season there is a minibus transfer to Pampa Linda. Get off at “Los Césares”, the trailhead is right across the road.
By car: 61 km total. Take route 40 towards El Bolsón, soon after Villa Mascardi at 36 km. there is a right turn off onto a gravel road. Another couple of hundred meters and you are at the Park Rangers Office “Mascardi”, where is the paid entrance fee to the National Park. From here there are 25 km. to Los Césares.
The road between Los Rápidos and Pampa Linda has timetables of restricted one direction:
- One way up: from 10 to 14 hs. from Los Rápidos.
- One way down: from 16 to 18 hs. from Pampa Linda.
- Two way road: from 19:30 to 9 hs.
- From 14 to 19:30 hs you cannot head towards Pampa Linda.
Close to Los Césares:
Camping area “ The 3 Poplars”- No services
Tronador Hotel – Open from November to April
- Very steep trail, take good hiking shoes as the terrain may be slippery due to loose soil or muddy conditions.
- Follow the signs and do not leave the trail.
- Check the weather forecast and the accumulation of snow in height before leaving.
The trail starts at Los Césares on the road to Pampa Linda, close to the shore of Mascardi lake. Follow the trail up to the waterfall, short detour right to see it, then continue up the left detour. The next detour go left towards the peak as the right one goes to the Lake.
The whole trail is pretty steep with switchbacks, it goes along a forest most of the way. The last part up the ridge is on loose scree. Follow the red markings and look out for the cairns above the vegetation as it is harder to find the trail.
It’s a long trail so leave early.
Follow the same trail back down.
To improve the trekking experience, it is recommended to contact a Mountain Guide authorized by the AAGM (Argentine Association of Mountain Guides)