HOW TO GET THERE
From downtown Bariloche:
Bus: In summer season there is a minibus transfer to Pampa Linda which takes roughly 2 hs. Reservation required.
By car: 85 km. total. Take route 40 towards El Bolsón, soon after Villa Mascardi at 36 km., there is a right turn off onto a gravel road. Another couple of hundred meters and you are at the Park Rangers Office “Mascardi”, where is the paid entrance fee to the National Park. From here there are 50 km. to Pampa Linda.
The road between Los Rápidos and Pampa Linda has timetables of restricted one direction:
- One way up: from 10 to 14 hs. from Los Rápidos.
- One way down: from 16 to 18 hs. from Pampa Linda.
- Two way road: from 19:30 to 9 hs.
- From 14 to 19:30 hs you cannot head towards Pampa Linda.
- Bear in mind when planning your outing the time of the year and daylight hours.
- The rain in this area can really make the hiking a lot harder due to all the mud and very slippery.
- Take plenty water
The trail starts next to the Park Rangers Office in Pampa Linda.
The first 3 km. are pretty flat, there is a bridge to cross the Castaño Overa river and the trail begins to climb though not very steep. Another half hour of the same trail going up to Otto Meiling Hut, here there is a sign and detour left towards the lookout. It’s another hour of hiking without much more elevation gain.
Take the same trail back down to Pampa Linda.